It’s the beginning of the quarter and you know what that means. Time to see how I faired with my winter 2016 quarterly goals. Remember, to succeed, I need to have completed at least half of my goals.
Winter 2016 Quarterly Goals
- Finish #12DaysofChrismas Series. This did not happen. I got very busy with my WIP and my classes, and so writing flash fiction kind of went on the back burner for this quarter. 0/1 point
- Complete/submit short story for Fantasia Divinity Magazine. I didn’t say specifically what story I was going to finish and submit to them. I’m going to give myself this one, even though it wasn’t the story I planned on submitting, I did get published with the magazine 🙂 See Short Stories and Published Works to buy the issue I’m in! 1/1 point
- Write blog posts at least three days ahead of posting date. (Fridays for Monday postings and Wednesdays for Friday postings). Another fail! I think between all of my other projects, I need to come up with a bit of a simpler schedule for this blog. 0/1 point
- Write 200 words per day, not counting work or school projects. This did not happen, but I did write about 15,000 words this quarter, which was half of my goal, so I’m pretty happy with that. .5/1 point
- Finish The Fantome Queen. Nope. I have made a decision about this piece. I am not going to add any more parts to it. However, I’m opening it up to the readers of this blog to extend if they would like. Just ask me before doing so and make sure to link to part one on my blog :-). 0/1 point
- Write at least two more chapters (roughly 8,000 words) on The Trinketeer. I’m going to give myself this one. Even though I didn’t write two chapters, I did write a lot of world building and character sheets, well over 8,000 words. 1/1 point
- Look into the possibility of starting a Youtube channel.
- Side note: if I seriously looked into this, how many of you would rather a vlog format than a written blog? So I did look into this. It may be something I want to see through in the future, but I’ve decided that for now I’m going to keep blogging only. Vlogging requires a lot of extra equipment and time and I’m afraid I do not have. 1/1 point
- Look into joining at least two fun extra curricular activities. I did this. After I graduate in May, I’m going to sign up for some cooking classes with a local culinary school and, though I haven’t found the second one yet, I did look. I’m a big musical nerd, so I hope to get back into theater again. 1/1 point
- Complete three Suggestion Box Prompts outside of #12DaysofChristmas. Fail! I did not do this. But I have big plans for those prompts this coming season! 0/1 point
Total: 4.5/9 points. Success!
The next round, I’m going to try something different. Instead of doing quarterly goals, I’m going to take a page from author Kristen Martin, and set goals for the next two months rather than three. I think I give myself too much time with quarterly goals, and so I tend to put things on the back burner. I’m going to see if this works any better. So my goals for April and May are:
- Finish the #12DaysOfChristmas series.
- Write 1,000 words per week.
- Write at least one blog post per week.
- Write Chapter 4 of The Trinketeer.
- Sign up for a cooking class and find a second activity.
- Put finishing touches on promotions for a secret project (coming in June!).
- Start promoting #secretproject at the end of May.
Challenge of the Month: What are your goals?